Director of Children’s Ministries
15 hours per week
Avery United Methodist Church in Washington, PA is seeking a part time Director of Children’s Ministries. The Director will work with volunteers from the congregation to develop a vision for teaching the Christian faith to children (ages 3-12). They will serve as the lead over all children’s programming, focusing on faith development and discipleship, and integrating the children’s programming into the regular worship service through special music, plays, and presentations to nurture growth within the church family. He or She will work with members of the congregation to assure that all the church’s policies regarding safety for volunteers and children are met, this includes background checks, proper staffing, and CPR/First Aid training. The goal of the programming is to develop a genuine relationship with Christ within the hearts of our children as they continue on their personal spiritual journeys. To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Avery United Methodist Church is a growing congregation with many young families, and strives to expand an existing positive relationship with Trinity West Elementary School, located across the street from the church.
Director of Children’s Ministries
Avery United Methodist Church
Provide leadership and vision to develop a genuine relationship with Christ within the hearts of our children (ages 3-12) as they grow and mature.
The director of children’s ministries will serve as the lead over all children’s programming, focusing on faith development and discipleship, and integrating the children’s programming into worship and other areas of ministry. The director will work with the pastor and volunteers from the congregation to develop a vision for children’s ministry, and to implement plans to work toward that vision. This is a part-time salaried position which will start with an expectation of 15 hours per week. The director will report primarily to the pastor, and secondarily to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop overall vision for children’s ministry that is in line with the overall mission & vision of Avery UMC.
- Lead all areas of programming for children ages 3-12.
- Build genuine relationships with the children & parents of the church.
- Oversee selection and implementation of all curriculum for Sunday School.
- Plan children’s ministry programming in addition to Sunday School.
- Plan outreach events including but not limited to: Trunk-or-Treat, Easter Egg Hunt, Outdoor Movie Nights.
- Oversee support of Trinity West Elementary school.
- Recruit, train, & schedule volunteers for all areas of children’s ministries, including Sunday School, nursery, and other programs and outreach events.
- Be responsible for implementation, compliance, and record-keeping of all policies regarding safety for volunteers and children, including background checks, proper staffing, and CPR/First Aid training.
- Plan, administer, and track the budget for children’s ministries.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of equipment & supplies for children’s ministries.
- Work with the administrative assistant to maintain accurate contact information for children & families, and to communicate ministry news as needed.
- Personal relationship with Jesus Christ and active participation in the life of a Christian church.
- Passion for ministry to children & their families.
- Ability to be sensitive to needs and pressures of special needs children and seek to include them as their ability allows.
- Willingness to teach the Christian faith from the United Methodist theological tradition.
- Creative & innovative.
- Self-motivated, organized, and capable of leading teams of volunteers.
- 2 years of experience (paid or volunteer) in children’s ministry.
- CPR/First Aid Certification.
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Submitted PA Criminal Record Check, PA Child Abuse Clearance, & FBI Criminal History Report.