COMING IN 2019:
Learning the Bible, Together
Have you ever wanted to read the bible more, on your own or with your family? Avery UMC is here to help! We think it’s important that everyone know about God through the stories, and the big story, of scripture. That’s why we invite you to join us for a year-long journey through the most important themes and stories found in the bible.
For 31 weeks, we’ll look at those themes and stories together as a church. Worship, Sunday School, and adult small groups will follow the same schedule, which means families can journey through scripture from week to week and discuss what they’re learning, together!
It all starts this Sunday, with “Creation: the Beginning of Life as We Know It”
How You Can Participate
- Attend worship. All our worship services will center on the theme or story of the week.
- Order The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People, and follow along with your own reading each week. If you’d like for us to order a book for you, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Children: Attend Sunday school, where you’ll learn the same stories as adults learn in worship. You’ll get a special trading card each week you attend!
- Youth (grades 6-12): Attend youth group on Thursdays from 6-7:30 pm (starting Jan. 31) to discuss each week’s theme.
- Join a small group that is using The Story. If you facilitate a small group, ask your group if they want to follow The Story for 2019.
You can participate in any or all of these ways. It’s up to you!
The Story books and materials have arrived and are ready for pick up in the Fellowship Hall.
Avery Delivers will have a short meeting after worship Jan. 27.
2019 Community Youth Group begins here at AUMC on Thursday January 31, from 6-7:30 pm. All youth in grades 6-12 are welcome!
Love in a Backpack Thursdays, 11 am-Noon
If you haven’t already done so, please consider donating a little time to this important and ongoing service opportunity. Please use the sign-up sheet in the Welcome Area. Volunteers must have clearances on file with the church. If you do not have clearances, come early to volunteer and we’ll assist you in getting them.
Prayer & Care Cards Next meeting: February 12
You are invited on a journey that begins with prayer for our loved ones, church family, and the world. We will meet monthly to make and take home three care cards – supplies will be provided. The Spirit will lead and guide us along the way each 2nd Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm. “Cast your burden on the Lord, and the Lord will care for you.” – Psalm 55:22
Washington District Event
Copies of the Washington District School of Lay Ministries brochure are available on the table in the back of the sanctuary. Advance registration is required. See brochure for details.
Avery UMC Winter Weather Cancellation Policy
Follow Trinity School District Cancellations. If Trinity has a 2-hr. delay, all events at Avery prior to 12 pm are cancelled. If Trinity cancels, all events for that day are cancelled. Weekend events are cancelled on a case-by-case basis. Sunday worship will not be cancelled unless the power is out and/or there is no heat. In all situations, please make the safest choice FOR YOU.
Have something to share with the congregation? Submit it to the church office at email@example.com.