2019 Church-wide Focus:
Learning the Bible, Together
Have you ever wanted to read the bible more, on your own or with your family? Avery UMC is here to help! We think it’s important that everyone know about God through the stories, and the big story, of scripture. That’s why we invite you to join us for a year-long journey through the most important themes and stories found in the bible.
For 31 weeks, we’ll look at those themes and stories together as a church. Worship, Sunday School, and adult small groups will follow the same schedule, which means families can journey through scripture from week to week and discuss what they’re learning, together!
First unit runs Jan. 27 to April 7.
How You Can Participate
- Attend worship. All our worship services will center on the theme or story of the week.
- Order The Story: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People, and follow along with your own reading each week. If you’d like for us to order a book for you, email email@example.com.
- Children: Attend Sunday school, where you’ll learn the same stories as adults learn in worship. You’ll get a special trading card each week you attend!
- Youth (grades 6-12): Attend youth group on Thursdays from 6-7:30 pm (starting Jan. 31) to discuss each week’s theme.
- Join a small group that is using The Story. If you facilitate a small group, ask your group if they want to follow The Story for 2019.
You can participate in any or all of these ways. It’s up to you!
Jan. 27 – Creation: The Beginning of Life as We Know It
Feb. 3 – God Builds a Nation (Abraham)
Feb. 10 – Joseph: From Slave to Deputy Pharaoh
Feb. 17 – Deliverance (the Exodus Story)
Feb. 24 – New Commands and a New Covenant (the Ten Commandments)
Mar. 3 – Wandering
Mar. 10 – The Battle Begins (Battle of Jericho)
Mar. 17 – A Few Good Men…And Women
Mar. 24 – The Faith of a Foreign Woman (the Book of Ruth)
Mar. 31 – Standing Tall, Falling Hard
Apr. 7 – From Shepherd to King (David)